Over the years, Vishnu and I have learned something very important about ourselves as a couple – we’re very routine people. Have been since the beginning. And while this isn’t always a bad thing, I’ve experienced firsthand what it can do to a relationship when ignored for a long time.
Georgia Tech football game, 2009
Two years into our relationship, Vishnu and I fell into a comfortable routine – work, dinner, TV, sleep, repeat. At first, I loved how natural it all felt. But slowly, our cute little relationship started feeling more like a roommate situation. Let’s just say that over the course of a couple of months we had many, many conversations about why neither one of us did anything to shake up our routine and what would happen if we just let things be. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that both of us needed to do our part to keep things fresh and fun. It would require a little more work than we were used to, but it was important for the health of our relationship.
Pre-birthday dinner, 2008
Even to this day, when one of us feels like things are getting too easy, we bring it up and do something about it (I’ll get to that in a minute). And trust me, with both of us busy in our own little worlds, it’s very easy to fall into a routine. After a long week at work/school, all we want to do is stay in and watch The West Wing. Again, while this is perfectly ok and normal some of the time, we want to learn/discover/try new things together. And more importantly, we never want to stop having fun!
Atlanta Thrashers game, 2007
Something else that we’ve learned about ourselves over the past eight years is that we’re a super simple couple (sometimes to a fault!). It’s all about the little things. However, this is the best way for us to be right now because time and money are of the essence.
Post-graduation celebratory dinner, 2006
So what are the little things that keep our relationship fresh and new? I’m glad you asked!
- We cook together a few times a weeks. Sometimes this means I cook and Vishnu keeps me company…just depends on how quickly I need to get dinner on the table!
- We try new restaurants (and pretend we’re food critics!). We’re so routine that even this is hard sometimes! We love Lime Fresh, and if one of us doesn’t do some pre-dinner research, we end up there by default. However, I’m happy to say that we’ve been on new restaurant roll lately!
- We work out together…sometimes! Even though we do our own thing, it’s nice to know that we’re making a healthy decision together.
- We debate. Vishnu loves a good debate, and I’m stubborn, so you imagine how fun our dinnertime conversations are! But seriously, we enjoy challenging each other’s views and find that it’s the best way to sharpen our intellectual capabilities!
- We grocery shop together when we can. I love it when Vishnu comes with me on my Sunday morning escapade around Fort Lauderdale. I’m much less frantic when he’s around, which makes for a more enjoyable experience.
- We hang out with other people. As much as I love our alone time, I enjoy group activities because they shake things up and allow our individual personalities to shine through.
- We spend time apart. I absolutely love and adore my husband, but I need my me time and/or girl time. And I know the same goes for him. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?!
- And finally, we laugh…a lot! This is the cheapest, simplest way to keep the fun alive in any relationship. (I just asked Vishnu who the funniest person he knows is and he said, “You. Duh.” Love him!)
Soccer game, 2012
Now it’s your turn. Tell me how you keep your relationship fun and fresh (doesn’t have to be a romantic one either)!