Another Monday is upon us. Not a bad thing in my opinion because that just means we’re closer to our trip to Atlanta…and our trip to Chicago! Vishnu and I are going there for New Year’s to celebrate with a bunch of friends. Should be a fun time!
So last week I started thinking more about New Year’s resolutions and how I always have a ton of them. And about how mine are always centered around nutrition and exercise. Well things are going to change in 2013! Not only will I only have one resolution, but it’s going to have zero to do with being healthy. GASP!
I feel like I have the healthy eating/working out thing under control. I’m ready to tackle something different this coming year…
My 2013 New Year’s resolution is to define and create my own personal style with regards to fashion. No worries, myinnershakti is not going to turn into a fashion blog. The mere thought makes me laugh!
You’re probably thinking, “How does someone who’s almost 30 not have a personal style already?” Let me explain. As much as I love to shop, I’m kind of all over the place. While I know what I like, I buy random things that look good at the time. And on top of that, I have a “sale” mindset. If something is on sale, it’s worth it – even if I don’t really see a long term place for it in my closet. Well, that is coming to an end.
First things first – defining my style. Here’s what I came up with…simple, casual, comfortable, BUT fun. Something like this…
Here’s my plan on how I’m going to tackle this resolution:
- Take full inventory of my closet and jewelry boxes every few months and get rid of the things that don’t fit my vision or me (I still have shirts I wore my junior year of college)
- Take 10-15 minutes every night to put together my outfit for the next day (ironing, picking out jewelry, etc.)
- Wake up 10 minutes earlier to give myself time to do my hair (you can only pull off the messy bun look so many times in a week)
- When shopping, thinking long and hard about each purchase – will it work with other pieces I already own, will it work for both business casual and weekend casual (not necessary but definitely a good thing), is it a long term purchase or something I see myself not liking in a few months, etc.
- Find fashion blogs that I can truly relate to –> recommendations are welcome!
I’m honestly really excited. I read somewhere recently that our clothes and style say a lot about us, both professional and personally, without us having to say a word. Sadly, my style doesn’t really say much about me. If anything, it screams boring. That must change ASAP because I absolutely love having fun!
In an effort to jumpstart the whole process, I got a slightly different haircut this weekend. I opted for side bangs and more layers for volume! The bangs aren’t super chunky and prominent but definitely a change from my usual cut.
Take 100 – definitely not a self-portrait person
Vishnu and I also went shopping on Saturday. I’m happy to report that I was very picky about what I bought. Off to a good start…2013 has nothing on me!
Would y’all like to see pictures and details about outfits I come up with every now and then? I admit this question is a selfish one on my part because I could use the feedback!
Please share your favorite fashion blogs!
Do you have a 2013 New Year’s resolution in mind? Share!