About six months before my wedding, I emailed a number of my female friends/family members and asked them to send me their best marital advice. And then I shared all of their thoughts in this post.
I loved and appreciated (and still do) all the wisdom they imparted on me!
Now two plus years later, I have a few of my own words of marital wisdom. I’m a marriage expert after all. Jusssssssst kidding! An expert I am not but I do have a few things to share that go beyond the obvious (trust, love, be honest, etc.).
- No matter what, spend a few minutes each day laughing together. From what I can tell, this whole marriage thing is supposed to be fun.
- Say “I love you” as much as possible and say it like you mean it. Even when you’re angry. Especially when you’re angry.
- Don’t say “I’m fine” when you’re not. Just don’t!
- If something is bothering you, bring it up…but be nice about it and/or inject a little humor into the conversation.
- You can’t change your significant other, so don’t bother trying. People only change when they themselves want to. Instead, love, support, and appreciate. You can’t go wrong doing those things!
- Put your phone away whenever possible, and spend your time wisely. Remember, your phone isn’t going anywhere.
- Date nights are important. Make them a priority.
- Maintain your own hobbies, interests, etc. Being married doesn’t mean you have to be joined at the hip for the next 50 years.
- Don’t put romance on the back burner. This isn’t to say that every moment has to be a romantic one but work hard to keep it alive as much as possible.
- Compliment each other at least once everyday. And to all my fellow women who have a hard time accepting compliments, just say thanks.
- Two important words – thank you…say them often!
- You’re not perfect, your significant other isn’t perfect…basically, perfection does not exist in marriage. Always remember that!
Annnnd…that’s where my wisdom ends. I’ll be back with more tid bits in another two years! Haha.
And because I love quotes, here is one about marriage that I LOVE!
“The difference between an ordinary marriage and an extraordinary marriage is in giving just a little ‘extra’ every day, as often as possible, for as long as we both shall live.”
— Fawn Weaver
What’s the best piece of relationship advice you’ve received?