This time of year is always very reflection heavy for me. And not so much because it’s the start of a new year.
January is special because it’s my birth month, and it’s My Inner Shakti’s birth month. And this year I turned 39 while MIS turned 12!
I can’t believe I’ve had this little corner of the internet for 12 years! What a ride it’s been.
I literally started on a whim after talking to a good friend about how I wanted to start a blog ‘one day.’ She was so supportive and told me I totally should. Later that night, I researched how to start a blog, and from there, MIS came to be via WordPress.com! One day was actually a few hours later, and I’m so thankful I took the leap to put myself out there! 12 years later here we are.
So much of my life is documented here – all of my moves, my wedding, friend’s weddings, birthdays, all the small stuff…
Speaking of birthdays, I just celebrated #39. And by celebrated, I mean I spent time with loved ones (over the course of the weekend), had a lovely lunch with one of my best friends, and spent the evening with Vishnu and the kids. Perfection in my mind!
In true Parita fashion, I thought I would share some of the big things I’ve taken away from both my 39 years and my 12 years as a blogger/storyteller. I think all of these apply to all different aspects of life and are truly the things I think about when I think about anything and everything I do.
- If you feel a pull towards something, get curious about it! Take the time to find out if it’s meant for you, and if the answer is a resounding yes, take action and go for it! Nothing bad ever comes from these kinds of ‘risks’ and leaps. No matter what happens, you learn. From the way I look at it, it’s a win win!
- Your presence and who you are supersedes what you do any day. People will forget the details of what you do, but they’ll never forget how they felt in your presence, and more importantly, how you made them feel.
- At the end of the day, the actions we do or do not take on things determine the direction our life takes. Sure, things will happen that are out of our control, but I’m a believer in the idea that we shape our lives by doing and trying. Thinking will only take you so far. Live your life like an experiment is what this essentially boils down to.
- Whenever possible, try to respond versus react (something I’m working very hard on at the moment!). There are very few things that call for a reaction. Personally, I try to create space between whatever’s happening and my response. That way I’m being conscious and thoughtful about shaping what happens next.
- Never forget the immense power that lies in ONE! We all want to change the world and reach more and more people, but there is so much power in reaching one person. It’s the knocking down of that one domino that creates beauty and progress. Personally, I aim to help/inspire/motivate one person every day, and sometimes that includes me!
- SHARE YOUR STORY! To the point above, you never know who you’re helping by sharing your story/perspective/etc. We are all living beautiful, textured, complex lives, and I truly believe we are better off by sharing the good, the not so good, and the neutral. My central premise of sharing has always been to make people feel less alone in whatever they’re going through. Even if you don’t want to share publicly on social media/blog, share with those you feel comfortable with and watch as those relationships flourish and continue to grow. There’s power in openness and vulnerability. We all have something to offer.
- Be kind. You’ll never regret it…
And finally, thanks for being here! I appreciate you more than you’ll ever know.