On this day, 29 years ago, I decided to grace the world with my presence. Said another way, it’s my birthday!
I’m honestly not a birthday person – never really have been. In my opinion, today is all about my amazing parents. It’s their day to celebrate the past 29 years.
However, I know most people don’t think of their birthday in the same way, so I can’t just leave it at that. I’m pretty sure today isn’t going to be different from every other day in terms of my routine (get up, go to work, come home, make dinner, watch TV, go to sleep), therefore, I don’t have an elaborate birthday post for you guys. Instead, I’m going to go a different route and share a little bit of what I’ve learned over the past 29 years.
When thinking about what to share, quite a few lessons, if you will, came to mind. But I think the following list represents the stuff I’ve tried to focus on now more than ever.
1. Don’t wish away the present for an unknown future. Life isn’t about what’s to come, it’s about what is…at this very moment. Be happy now because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.
2. Don’t assume. Ask. If you’re anything like me, your assumptions will fail you 98% of the time. And then you’ll feel like a big idiot. Avoid this by asking a lot of questions.
3. Don’t compare your life with anyone else’s. You have no clue what their journey is all about.
4. Every little bit counts when it comes to living a healthy life. Most people assume that it requires a huge overhaul, but in reality, it’s all about making one small change…and then another.
5. Changing your thoughts and the way you think can change your life. Your thoughts create your reality.
6. Don’t let the fear of failure hold you back. Take risks, even small ones, on a daily basis. It’s the only way to grow.
7. Toxic people don’t deserve a place in your heart and life. Oftentimes it’s hard to confront because of what was, but when the relationship brings more hurt than happiness, it’s time to let go.
8. Family can be anyone. You don’t have to have blood to be family.
9. What other people think of you is none of your business. Constantly worrying about how to please others is an absolute waste of your time and energy. Instead, just focus on being you. The world needs more authentic people…be one of them.
Ok, I’m done! And look at that…nine lessons on my 29th birthday. Aren’t I clever!?
Have a great day! Oh and eat chocolate and think of me.