If you’ve ever felt that I paint a pretty picture about life and motherhood, I hope this post sets the record straight.
This weekend was one for the books in terms of how hard it was (in recent memory). It’s hard to tell what’s bothering Kaiden because he can’t express himself articulately at that level yet, but whatever it was, it was a doozy. He was melting down left and right over the smallest things (and that’s when we could figure out what was bothering him) – drop of water on his shirt, having to wash his hands, me wearing my Apple watch, etc.
While he is an emotional child, his meltdowns are usually short-lived. I’m wondering if has something to do with the current situation. I didn’t think he really got it, but perhaps having to stay inside for 6 weeks has had an impact.
I just feel for him because he’s usually my happy boy. Vishnu and I are just trying to stick to our boundaries and talking him through each situation as it unfolds. I’m hoping in a couple of weeks something clicks and he understands that we can talk about somethings versus cry and scream about them. Wish us luck!
With that, here’s are some weekend highlights…
- Virtual game night with some friends. We played Codenames, and it was really fun and a lot more seamless than I thought it would be.
- Happy Camper pizza for dinner. I got the veggie loaded pie and it was DELISH! This is some of the best pizza I’ve had in Chicago. If you’re a deep dish fan, take this with a grain of salt. Otherwise, try it if you get the chance.
- Family walk around the neighborhood. Kaiden sat in his stroller for most of it, but then we unleashed the beast towards the end so he could burn some energy!
- Workout with Vishnu. We did a Has Fit HIIT workout – a great one to do with someone else. You don’t need a ton of room and could easily use soup cans or water bottles if you don’t have light weights.
- Meltdowns galore (see intro to the post)…no need for me to elaborate here!
- Wine, cheese, and movie night with Vishnu. MUCH MUCH MUCH NEEDED!
- Some outdoor time with K. In the morning we spent some time on our balcony, and in the afternoon, we attempted another family walk. As soon as we stepped outside our building, it starting raining. We made our way upstairs, while dealing with another meltdown, and by the way we got to our place, it stopped raining. Go figure! We did manage to get some time on our balcony (much needed!).
- I made Table of Spice’s chocolate banana bread in muffin form (again!). Kaiden loves this recipe, and I make it with 4 bananas and only 2 tablespoons of sugar…so technically it’s healthy, right?!
- Cleaning of bathrooms by yours truly. Even though I hate this task, it is technically alone time…so I’ll take it?!
- Another family walk. The weather in Chicago was on fire this weekend!
- I made Peas and Crayons Tortilla Soup and felt comfort and happiness with every spoonful. I’ve been making this for a couple of years now, and it’s absolutely delicious and virtually fool-proof.
Hoping for a better week for all of us! Make it a good one 🙂