Quite the title, huh?  But that is what I am at this moment in time.

Many of my real-life friends ask how I’m adjusting to this new (and short-term) role I’ve taken on – a stay at home full-time working wife.  They know me well and know that I love being around people and having a set routine.  And obviously, our current situation has been challenging on both fronts.

Honestly though, I think I’m doing ok.  Some days are better than others, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We’ll be in Chicago soon enough, and I’ll have many more opportunities for connection then (which is what I’m craving most at this time!).

With that being said, I wanted to share what a semi-typical day looks like for me.  As I’ve said many times, my schedule changes every four weeks with a change in Vishnu’s rotations.  And this month, it’ll change twice – he’s on days for the first two weeks and nights for the last two weeks.  It’s all about agility, my friends!

Without further ado, here’s what January 12, 2016 looked like for me…

5:30 am – I wake up, stretch, say a prayer, brush my teeth, and make Vishnu breakfast (just a shake…nothing complicated or too involved!)

6:15 am – Vishnu leaves for work.

6:30 am – I go down to the gym for a treadmill interval workout.  While I really dislike running on a treadmill, I need something quick that will have me in and out by 7:15.

Pre workout mirror pic

7:40 am – After showering, making my breakfast (again, just a shake), and starting a load of laundry, I enter my “office,” write my list of things I’m grateful for this morning, and finally start my work day.

Morning breakfast protein shake with spinach

8:00 am – 12:00 pm – The usual – emails, calls…work stuff*!  I’m super hungry by 11:30, so I decide to reheat some leftovers (a lentil, farro, veggie, and tahini sauce bowl) and eat and work at my desk.  Not something I usually do!

Bedroom office workstation

Lentil farro tahini bowl

12:00 – 1:00 pm – I decide to use my actual lunch hour to fold laundry and pack for my trip to Atlanta (I fly out tomorrow evening and fly back on Sunday afternoon).  More on this in a later post!  I also enjoyed a piece of super dark chocolate while running around the apartment.  Mmmm…

1:00 – 5:15 pm – The usual – emails, calls…work stuff*!

5:15 – 6:00 pm   I prepare and make enchiladas for Vishnu to eat for dinner and also to have as a dinner option while I’m gone for the next few days.

Homemade enchiladas

6:00 – 7:00 pm – My friend Ankita and I have a phone date scheduled, and we catch about pretty much everything – life, husbands, her pregnancy, books, ‘Making a Murderer,’ etc.

7:15 – 7:45 pm – I clean up the kitchen and put the dishes in the dishwasher. Still waiting for Vishnu to get home!

7:45 – 8:00 pm – While I wait for Vishnu to come home, I check work email.

8:10 pm – Vishnu’s home!  While he eats dinner, I get started on the second meal I’m cooking for him – crock pot chicken tikka masala.  If it turns out good, I’ll remake it and share the recipe!

Crockpot chicken tikka masala

8:30 – 8:45 pm – Vishnu and I clean up and close down the kitchen for the night!

8:45 – 9:15 pm – I put the finishing touches on this post!

9:15 – 9:45 pm – Vishnu and I hang out for a bit and watch TV/chit chat.

9:45 – 10:30 pm – It’s time for me to get ready for bed (phew!).  I go through my nighttime routine, get into bed, and read for a little bit before calling it a night.

Reading in bed with a Kindle

And that is my semi-typical day in a nutshell!

*As a project manager on a fairly small team, “work stuff” can vary by the day.  Currently, we are in the middle of preparing for our global conference.  The conference is in three weeks in Panama (the country, not the party city in Florida!), and there’s so much to do for it.  My life is pretty consumed by this one event!

What does your day look like?  Do you have a set routine every day?

By Parita

13 thoughts on “A Day in the Life of a Stay at Home Full-Time Working Wife”
  1. As someone who works from home, I loved reading how your day pans out! I tend to start working around 8, break from 12-2 to go to the gym, shower and eat lunch. I usually continue working till about 6.30/7. Of course some days I might head out in the afternoon to meet a friend or run some errands which is fine as I can balance out the workload in the evening or later on in the week…the joys of self-employment!
    Khushboo recently posted…Dining at The TableMy Profile

  2. I love reading posts like this! You’ve inspired me to maybe share what a semi-typical day looks like for me, too! I am with you: I do like the days I get to work from home, but I much more enjoy being at the office and sticking to a routine. I think it’s great you can adjust so well! And damn girl, you get a lot done in a day! I have a set routine I try to follow on a weekly basis as well. I’m too Type A that if I don’t have a routine, I get restless and anxious!
    Aparna B. recently posted…Aparna in WonderlandMy Profile

    1. Oh! I was also going to suggest something (if you don’t mind!): have you thought about asking for a standing desk at home while you work? Or moving laptop to a higher table during the day so you can stand while working? I find that helps my focus…but maybe that’s just me 🙂
      Aparna B. recently posted…Aparna in WonderlandMy Profile

  3. That’s a busy day! I work from home three times a week and go into the office twice, so my routine changes depending on where I’m at. My WFH days look quite similar to yours, except that I either work out during lunch or after work and sleep as late as possible in the mornings, something I wish I could change about myself but have accepted at this point 🙂
    Kacy recently posted…[Wellness] Wins – Losing EditionMy Profile

  4. Wow! You get a lot done in your day!! 🙂 Would you mind sharing your treadmill interval workouts in a future post? I’m getting tired of the same ‘ol thing I do on the treadmill!

  5. That’s really great that while you are working from home, you have a good schedule in place, that can be a big challenge. It’s still hard for me because my youngest is only in preschool 3 mornings a week. so I fit in the work when I can, a lot of times at night after they go to bed. I think once they are both in school full time, I’ll be able to have a better schedule, at least from 8:45-2:45. Have a great trip to Atlanta!
    Salma recently posted…5 Muffin Recipes We LoveMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.