Are you a quirky person?
If you answered no to that question, you’re lying! I believe that every single one of us is quirky in our own ways. It may be more evident in some people [like myself], but if we dig deep, we all have little things that are very “us.”
And there’s nothing like a little travel to bring out the quirky in a person. During my flight to London, I sat down and made a list of all my quirky travel habits and preferences…just for fun. I’m hoping some of you can relate (and tell me if you do in the comments!).
Without further ado, here are 14 of my most prevalent quirks and preferences!
- As much as I hate sitting and waiting at the airport, I like/need to arrive at least 1.5 hours before boarding time.
- I’m not a Starbuck’s person in my day-to-day life, but when I travel, there’s a 95% chance I’ll buy a fancy drink.
- Without fail, I grab the armrests the minute the plane touches the ground.
- I like to sleep. Correction – I LOVE the sleep. And I can pretty much sleep anywhere, including on planes which is what you’ll find me doing 99% of the time.
- I will do absolutely anything to avoid having to use the bathroom on the plane.
- I don’t drink liquids when flying if I can avoid it [see #5].
- I [used to] sneak my way in one boarding group early…every time I flew.
- I did #7 because I like being the first one in my row so I can get situated.
- #8 includes claiming my space and putting my armrest down [you would be surprised by how many people think they can take over my seat space because I’m on the smaller side].
- A new habit of mine is using hand sanitizer three separate times during a flight. Don’t want to get sick.
- One of my favorite things to do is pull out the in-flight magazine and tackle the crossword puzzle and all the Sudoku puzzles. And if my magazine doesn’t have untouched puzzles, I’m not above stealing my neighbor’s magazine!
- Turbulence = prayer time.
- Despite knowing how I can be when I’m hangry, I almost always forget to pack snacks when travelling.
- Comfort over style is the name of my game when travelling. With that being said, my travel uniform [99% of the time] is a pair of leggings and a big comfy sweater/long sleeve tee/sweatshirt. It really bugs Vishnu when I essentially wear my PJs outside of the house. So naturally I’m not going to change…just to get on his nerves!
Now tell me I’m not the only admittedly quirky one around here!
19 thoughts on “14 of My Quirkiest Travel Habits and Preferences”
OMG! We even have the same quirks. At least, 10 out of 14 that to you have mentioned!
∞ © tanvii.com ∞
Tanvi recently posted…Two Holiday Makeup Looks
That’s awesome but not surprising! 🙂
I read this post this morning, but had to come back so I could share some of my quirky travel habits too! Maybe they aren’t quirky, but my husband teases me sometimes about them 😉 I used to travel every two weeks and be gone for two weeks at a time (minimum) at my previous job, and did this for 5 years. You definitely pick up on weird habits haha. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
• I get the stupidest, silliest smile on my face when a plane is about to take off – I LOVE flying and I love that moment when the plane really comes to life on the runway
• Before they started putting “SKY” on the boarding passes, I would sneak in when they offered early boarding for skymiles or silver medallion customers. With the look of my luggage and my face of “no effs given”, I was never questioned and was able to board early all the time.
• I will request checking my bag for free at the gate, if an overhead bin directly above my seat is full and my bag won’t fit. I can’t have it in a bin across or farther away from my seat (terrible, I know)
• I have to arrive at the airport incredibly early too. But I love airports and like people watching and being a creep LOL (…I’m not presenting myself in a good light am I?…hahaha)
• I touch the plane before I enter the door. Every time. It’s like a silent blessing I give myself and the flight prior to getting on the aircraft.
• Arm rests are the first thing to come down when I sit down. I don’t want people invading my already small space
• Sanitizer sanitizer sanitizer!
I knew I couldn’t be the only sneaker! Loved reading all of your quirks. It’s funny how travelling brings it out of all of us!
Love it! I totally have tons of quirky travel habits!
Sonia Amin Thomas recently posted…Workout Wednesday: Run Forrest Run!
I’m sure we have some of the same ones!! 🙂
Yes lol I’m sure we do! Remember that time in Puerto Rico when we got there at a ‘normal person’ time and we were freaking and you were like running ahead? I always tell my neighbor to grab my pretzels, peanuts etc when Im sleeping haha.
I hate when people try to take over my space! Or how about when they lean their seats wayyyyy back, and do it so quickly that it nearly breaks off the top of your laptop?
I always sneak boarding groups too. Gotta have my space!
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Winning in Vegas, Coconut-Vanilla Greek Yogurt Recipe + WIAW
YES! And they do it so abruptly…grrr! I always try to ease my way back so I don’t surprise the poor person working away!
tweeneyyyyyyy. i can relate to almost all of those…i hope you get some free time to enjoy London 🙂
dixya | food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Cranberry Almond Biscotti
🙂 I did get some free time! It was a great trip!
Leggings are mandatory on longer flights. I think they can totally be cute with a good oversized sweater 🙂 I’m also the same about getting to the airport early even though waiting is the worst.
Kacy recently posted…Harper Macaw Chocolate Factory Now Open in DC
Exactly! I just can’t wear jeans on long flights. So not comfortable!
Interesting read. I share only one quirk of yours – I love wearing my PJs on the flight. I always try to book the window seat and I love watching through the window during take off 🙂 and I love reading the in-flight magazine and see what their food offerings are regardless of if I am going to eat or not.
I love reading the food offerings too! And my favorite parts of the in flight magazine are the sections where they talk about food.
This was a fun post to read!! I am just the same when it comes to travelling- comfort wins every time! Especially if it’s a long-haul flight, I am 99.9% going to be travelling in a big jumper and tracksuit bottoms! On the rare occasion, I might carry a pair of jeans to change into right before landing!
Hope you are having a blast in London and got your Pret fix ;)!
Khushboo recently posted…If we were having coffee
I did get my Pret fix! SO GOOD!
Airplane bathroom are the worst part of travel…everything else I can handle!
I am definitely a quirky person…I hate touching the seatbelt actually. I use my sleeves to buckle up.
ameena recently posted…allowance
What I hate about them is that it’s so hard to move around without touching something…eww!!! I don’t know what I’m going to do when I have to travel with kids. I’ll probably be known as the wipes lady!