Coconut oil has been trending for a while now. It’s pretty much the magical cure for everything it seems.
Personally, I cook a lot of my dishes using coconut oil. I also love coconut oil hair masks. I even gave oil pulling a chance (sadly, it wasn’t for me)!
So yeah, you name it and coconut oil can probably do it!
Aside from using it on my hair, I had yet to incorporate coconut oil into my beauty routine. As you all know, my skin is super sensitive and prone to breakouts. I was terrified that the oil would cause my skin to freak out, so I never used it on my face. Until recently that is.
After reading a countless number of articles and blog posts, I decided that I should at the very least give coconut oil a chance in the beauty/skincare department. And to my surprise, most people reported that it didn’t break them out.
So off I went to Trader Joe’s to pick up some of their organic coconut oil. For one thing, I wanted to keep my cooking oil and my beauty oil completely separate. Also, Trader Joe’s oil (when you buy it in store) is super affordable for the quality you get – virgin, organic, unrefined, and cold-pressed. And these are all must haves when considering what brand of coconut oil to buy.
With that being said, here’s how I’ve incorporated coconut oil into my beauty routine…
1. Lip balm – Every night before I go to bed, I rub a tiny bit of coconut oil onto my lips. It does feel a little strange at first, but when I wake up in the morning, my lips are super soft. And believe it or not, they stay that way pretty much throughout the day. LOVE!
2. Eyebrows – Not sure if any of you can relate, but my eyebrow hairs shed. And it’s only getting worse with age! So when I read that coconut oil stimulates hair growth, I decided to start applying a tiny dab to my eyebrows. I haven’t been doing it long enough to see a difference, but I figure it can’t hurt! And this is part of my nighttime routine as well.
3. Under eye area – Earlier this year, I started researching anti-aging creams. Even though I’ve been spared up until now, you never know when those crows feet will pop up. But because I was dealing with acne issues for the first half of this year, I put all the anti-aging stuff on the back burner. And then I read that coconut oil is a great natural anti-aging solution. Basically, I rub a tiny amount under and around each eye before bed. Again, I haven’t been using it long enough to notice a difference, but hopefully it keeps those wrinkles away!
4. Eye makeup remover – Eye makeup remover has never been a part of my beauty routine. My everyday face wash and good old fashioned water seemed to do the trick. And while any traces of makeup appeared to be gone, I always woke up with itchy dry eyes the next morning. And then I started using coconut oil as an eye makeup remover (massage a small amount directly on to eyelids and surrounding area and wash away with normal face wash and water). It magically melts away all my makeup, AND I wake up to normal eyes!
5. Body moisturizer – Did you know that when applied to the skin, coconut oil absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave an oily residue? Me neither. And that’s why I never bothered to use it as a moisturizer. Eventually, like everything else on this list, I decided to give it a go. I work from home, so even if I looked like a grease monkey, no one would see me. Lo and behold, coconut oil is an amazing overall moisturizer. Like I said, it’s not greasy, it smells amazing, and it leaves my skin feeling soft and silky. I’m sold! Just be sure to use a nickel sized amount at a time.
So as you can see, coconut oil truly does do it all! You can cook with it, you can use it as a mouthwash (if you wish), and you can most definitely incorporate it into your everyday beauty routine.
What’s your favorite way to use coconut oil?