First, let me address the title of this post.  After working out with my sister on Friday morning, I went to pour myself a glass of water from my parents’ Brita water jug not knowing that my sister had just refilled it with more water.  As soon as I went to fill my glass, the water spilled all over the counter and my iPhone.  I immediately dried it with paper towels and then ran to my computer to figure out what to do next.  Per quite a few different forums/websites, turning your phone off and putting it in an airtight container full of uncooked rice for 48-72 hours is the best solution.

iPhone in rice
So that’s exactly what I did.

On Sunday morning, I woke up and ran downstairs to check on my phone.  I told my dad to cross his fingers as we waited.  Thankfully, it not only turned on, but the speakers and other functions were also working just fine!  Close call…phew!

In a way, I’m kind of glad I didn’t have my phone with me the entire weekend.  I was able to spend quality time with my family and get lots of wedding stuff done.  An involuntary technology detox of sorts.

On Friday, after working out and showering, my mom and I looked at all the Pinterest photos my sister and I have been pinning for the past few months.  A couple hours later, we all agreed on the colors for all of Aekta’s outfits (and some of mine), as well as potential designs.  We also talked about the wedding cake and a few other details.

A few hours later, Vishnu’s parents and brother came over for dinner.  We had Mexican pizzas and enchiladas along with some of this delicious wine that came highly recommended by my friend Monica…

We also played with Niel’s girlfriend’s dog who joined us for dinner!  Her name is Little Bum Bums, and she is the cutest little thing ever!  Her energy and antics kept us entertained most of the evening. 🙂

Bum Bums
We slept in on Saturday and ate breakfast together.  Then my mom and I got to work and sorted through all of her saris and jewelry.  Sounds like an easy task, but it took a few hours.  I’m glad we did it though because it helped us get organized.  I’m not 100% sure how often I’ll be flying back to Atlanta this year, so I wanted us to tick off as many things off our list as possible.  We also stopped by the designer’s house to share our ideas and get the ball rolling!  Exciting stuff!

Later that evening, I got ready and headed to Roshni’s parents’ house for her brother’s surprise 40th birthday party.  It was so much fun hanging out with Roshni and Samir for bit and catching up with people I haven’t seen in a while.

When I got home, everyone was still up so my sister suggested we watch a few home videos (we try to watch different ones every time the four of us are together).  So much fun!  We laughed until tears were flowing down our faces.  It’s so funny how nothing has changed in terms of our family dynamic.  We’re a crazy bunch!

Sunday morning was a bit more hectic.  My flight was scheduled to depart at 3:30 pm, so Ruchi and I made plans to meet up before I had to leave.  She’s in the US for the next six weeks, but if we didn’t make it happen before I left Atlanta this weekend, we wouldn’t have seen each other at all.  Even though we only hung out for 20ish minutes, it was still worth it!  Hopefully, we’ll get to hang out more the next time she’s here.

Ruchi meet up
Before heading to the airport, my mom and I decided to stop at Lotta Frutta (one of my favorite food spots in the city) for smoothies and sandwiches.  By the time we got there and ordered our food, it was 2:00 pm.  We were told our wait time was about 15 minutes.  At this point, I was super nervous because travelling out of the Atlanta airport is always a little unpredictable.  Well, we got our food at 2:20, ran to the car, and made our way to the airport.  By the time my mom dropped me off, it was 2:35 pm.  The security process took a little longer than anticipated, but I made it to my gate just in time!  And while cutting it close like that isn’t my thing, I have to admit that the smoothie and sandwich were well worth the stress!  I love Lotta Frutta!

And just like that, it’s Monday.  I miss my parents and sister A LOT but am also happy to be back with Vishnu and look forward to settling into a routine once again.

By Parita

18 thoughts on “An iPhone Free Weekend in Atlanta”
    1. It was a lot of fun! Time flies when I go home. And I’m really glad I didn’t have my phone to distract me. The family appreciated it too!

  1. First off: glad your phone is OK!
    But secondly: I’m glad you had an unplugged weekend and really got to have that QT with the family! 🙂 Glad you made your flight safely and on time and glad you had a fun, productive weekend! <3 🙂 Here's to a good week for you, lady!

    1. Oh no! It didn’t?!

      And the wedding planning is officially in full swing! Very exciting. It’ll be here before we know it!

  2. Oh em gee about your phone, P! So glad the rice trick worked!! As addicted as I am to my phone, a weekend away sounds so nice- it’s always great to disconnect, even if it’s forced somewhat ;)!
    Khushboo recently posted…Mindful indulgenceMy Profile

    1. I honestly wasn’t sure how I was going to handle not having it all weekend, but I survived! It was super refreshing to just hang out and not feel like I had to check in every 10 minutes!

  3. Little Bum Bums is as cute as her name! Glad the rice trick worked for you… I could definitely benefit from a tech detox soon. I’ll actually be heading to ATL next month to visit family too… can’t wait! Glad you had a fantastic time back home with family… so jealous! 🙂
    Reshma recently posted…Packing Post: Into the WaterMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.