I’ve been thinking a lot about the little things lately. More importantly, I’ve been thinking about why the little things are so important. And I found that all the answers I come up with are somehow embedded in the quote…even though we may not realize it in the moment, the little things are the big things. And these things, if you will, are literally everywhere ready for us to enjoy.
Personally, I often find myself thinking about the future a lot. And not in a “next week I have to go to the dentist” kind of way. I think about where we’re going to end up in few years, will our family be close by, when will we have kids, will I have to switch jobs…and the list goes on. And while it’s totally normal to think about the future and plan for it, there comes a point where thoughts about the unknown take away from the present. They rob us of what’s certain and true…right now. They rob us of the moments that make for a beautiful life.
In an effort to be more appreciative of all that I have right now, I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and made a list. A list of the little things that are really the big things. So, without further adieu, here are a few of the (random) notes I jotted down…
- Waking up every morning with my best friend and partner in crime by my side
- Taking my first full deep breath before I (grudgingly) get out of bed
- Feeling the early morning breeze hit my body as I run outside
- Feeling my heart beat in my chest after a good workout
- Making small talk with our neighbors on the elevator
- Reading my family’s group text as the day progresses (we’re a goofy bunch!)
- Chatting with my mom every morning
- Hearing Vishnu’s voice as I step into our apartment after a long day at work
- Smiling and waving to our concierge every time I exit and enter the building (and seeing them smile and wave back)
- Laughing until my stomach hurts as I watch Vishnu reenact Beyoncé’s Single Ladies dance
- Catching up with a good friend after a really long time and hearing about all the good things happening in his or her life
- Making a new to me meal and having it turn out 100x better than expected
- Taking things a little slower on the weekends
- (Randomly) hearing a song from middle school and (loudly) singing along much to everyone’s dismay
Eventually, the future will become the present and bring it’s own set of surprises, challenges, etc. A lot of which is unknown. But as long as I keep reminding myself that life really is in the little everyday details, everything will be ok. Right!? Right.