On this day, 29 years ago, I decided to grace the world with my presence. Said another way, it’s my birthday!
I’m honestly not a birthday person – never really have been. In my opinion, today is all about my amazing parents. It’s their day to celebrate the past 29 years.
However, I know most people don’t think of their birthday in the same way, so I can’t just leave it at that. I’m pretty sure today isn’t going to be different from every other day in terms of my routine (get up, go to work, come home, make dinner, watch TV, go to sleep), therefore, I don’t have an elaborate birthday post for you guys. Instead, I’m going to go a different route and share a little bit of what I’ve learned over the past 29 years.
When thinking about what to share, quite a few lessons, if you will, came to mind. But I think the following list represents the stuff I’ve tried to focus on now more than ever.
1. Don’t wish away the present for an unknown future. Life isn’t about what’s to come, it’s about what is…at this very moment. Be happy now because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.
2. Don’t assume. Ask. If you’re anything like me, your assumptions will fail you 98% of the time. And then you’ll feel like a big idiot. Avoid this by asking a lot of questions.
3. Don’t compare your life with anyone else’s. You have no clue what their journey is all about.
4. Every little bit counts when it comes to living a healthy life. Most people assume that it requires a huge overhaul, but in reality, it’s all about making one small change…and then another.
5. Changing your thoughts and the way you think can change your life. Your thoughts create your reality.
6. Don’t let the fear of failure hold you back. Take risks, even small ones, on a daily basis. It’s the only way to grow.
7. Toxic people don’t deserve a place in your heart and life. Oftentimes it’s hard to confront because of what was, but when the relationship brings more hurt than happiness, it’s time to let go.
8. Family can be anyone. You don’t have to have blood to be family.
9. What other people think of you is none of your business. Constantly worrying about how to please others is an absolute waste of your time and energy. Instead, just focus on being you. The world needs more authentic people…be one of them.
Ok, I’m done! And look at that…nine lessons on my 29th birthday. Aren’t I clever!?
Have a great day! Oh and eat chocolate and think of me.
34 thoughts on “29 Years Young”
Happy BIRTHDAY! You are too cute. Love you SOOOOOO much. Have a wonderful day!!
Thank you, sissy! Love you more! 🙂
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, P! Wishing you all the best…even if you don’t have an elaborate day planned, hope it’s a fantastic one! You have gained a lot of wisdom over the past 29 years and I especially love number 1, 8 & 9! One of my favorite expressions is “When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U & ME”—> true story! As for family not needing to be blood relation, I couldn’t agree more- I consider some of my friends more like family than those who I actually do share blood with!
Thank you so much, K! My friends are part of my family too and I would have it no other way! Even my blog friends!! 🙂
Happy birthday gorgeous!! Not to be SUPER Indian, but….wishing you many happy returns of the day! 🙂 I hope you have a fabulous birthday!!
Thank you, yaar! I appreciate it!
Happy Birthday Parita!! thats a lovely post with such meaningful lessons. I love 1, 3 and 4 and wish all of you can do it to enhance our lives. Have a great year ahead!
Happiy Birthday!!! I love these lessons… all so very ture. I remembe the DAY I learned the one aboout toxic people. It changed my life (for the better!).
Hope you get to enjoy a treat with candles tonight. 🙂
Thanks, Laura! Yeah, that one is hard because the lesson itself is painful but that is life I suppose.
Happy Happy Happy Birthday Pumkin 🙂 I wish I can see you and hug you to wish you a very happy birthday but will do it with face time today!!! You have made us (Me and Dad) so proud for 29years without failing and I know so many more to come!!! Love you so much “You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine! love you forever :)”
Thanks, momma! Love you too much!!
Happy Birthday!!!! Have loads of fun… Hope you have an awesome year!!!!
Loved your post
Thank you, Jasmine! I appreciate it!
Happy Birthday!!!! I turn 29 this year too and I think this list encompasses all the important lessons we all learn in our 20s. Sometimes the hard way! Thanks for sharing, I will have to reread in a couple months on my birthday 😉
Thanks, Mila! 29 is going to be a good year…for you and me both. I feel it!
You are wise beyond your years, my friend. I need to figure out how to make #9 a reality for me. People pleasing is my biggest weakness.
And Happy Birthday! January birthday rock 😉
Thank you! And trust me, I’m not wise. While these are lessons I’ve learned here and there, I have yet to master them. 🙂
Wonderful tips! And very much needed on a day like today (for me).
Happiest Birthday to you!
(Mine is tomorrow 😉 )
Thanks, Shanna! And happy birthday to you!
Happy Birthday! Great post! 🙂
Thank you and thank you!
Happy Birthday P. Hope you have a fabulous day apart from the daily routine 🙂
Thank you!! It was a great day! 🙂
Awww.. happy birthday parita. Great lessons.. love that family isn’t always blood and you have to live in the moment. SO TRUE! You are so wise… to think of your parents… birthdays aren’t as big of a deal anymore cuz we are getting older, but i’m sure Vishnu will still have something sweet planned for you. 🙂 Happy Birthday!!!
Thanks, Nisha! It was a great birthday indeed!
Happy Birthday 🙂 Even though you do not have elaborate day planned – its all about spending that day with special person, appreciating everything you have 🙂 and eating yummy food which I see you did! loved each of your lessions and no matter how old we are – we all can apply to our life at some point. thanks for sharing it.. Enjoy the rest of your day and as I am eating chocoalte- will be thinking of you birthday girl!
i mean to say lessons!
Thank you! And I love that you ate chocolate and thought of me!!
Happy belated birthday Pari! I hope you had a wonderful day with some special plans in between the normal day. 29 is a good year 🙂 Enjoy it!
Thanks, Sig! I have a feeling this is going to be a fun year.
Happy birthday, pretty girl!! Love what you’ve learned and I join you in being happily 29 years young 🙂
That is such good advice!!! Happy birthday, darling!
#3 is still a challenge for me! And I’m 37…you are far wiser.
A Happy Belated Birthday to you!