Have you ever read a book that made you question the world around you, the life you’re leading, or your very existence? Before reading The Alchemist, I didn’t really think a book could impact me in such a way. Of course I read lots of books that challenge my thinking, educate me about new topics, or motivate me to strive for something better, but I can honestly say that The Alchemist does all this and more.
Since I haven’t quite finished the book yet (hence the Part 1), I’m just going to give you a very brief synopsis and leave you with some of my favorite quotes so far. Then I’m going to go read more so I can write up Part 2 for y’all.
The Alchemist is by Paulo Coelho. It’s actually one of the best-selling books in HISTORY. The beautiful fable follows a young boy who yearns to find the hidden treasure that keeps appearing in his recurring dream. He decides to leave the simple life that he has grown accustom to and search for that treasure. On his journey, he learns about omens, Personal Legends, and the Soul of the World. I would say more, but I don’t want to ruin it for those of you who have not read this wonderful book yet (shame on you ).
In a nutshell, this book is amazing, inspiring, and magical. You may be wondering, “Well, if it’s so great, why has it taken you so long to finish?” My answer to that would be…I don’t want the adventure to end. I want the wisdom on the pages to stay with me forever (yes, it’s that good). In Part 2 of this post, I’ll definitely explain in more detail how this book relates to me, but since I’m not done, I don’t want to go there quite yet.
I want to end this post with some of my favorite quotes from the book (so far)…
- “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- “Courage is the quality most essential to understanding the Language of the World.”
- “At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the worlds greatest lie.”
- “In order to find the treasure, you will have to follow the omens. God has prepared a path for everyone to follow. You just have to read the omens that he left you.”
- “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present , you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.”
Just typing up these quotes sent a shiver down my spine. The Alchemist is a gem of a book, and I really really really hope that I have at least made you consider reading it at some point. You may not find it to be so powerful, but I guarantee that it will cause you (even for just a few seconds) to see the world through a different lens.
Have a wonderful night!
What are some books that have had a similar impact on you? Have you read The Alchemist? Tell me what you think!!!