1. You guys, it’s so cold in Atlanta. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Parts of the country are literally covered with snow, and I’m complaining about being cold. I get that, trust me I do. I’m so grateful that the only thing we have to battle is low temps. However, I’m not used to being cold. Live in Miami for a few years, and you’ll see. It spoils you!
On that same note, we lost power at my parent’s house on Tuesday. I woke up shivering and ran into my parents’ room. My dad was still at home, so I asked what was going on. When they said the power was gone, I figured it would come back in an hour or two tops. Nope. It was gone until 5:00 pm.
Because we didn’t want to sit around in a cold house, my mom and I decided to run some errands and monitor the situation via our phones. It was quite the day!
2. I feel like all I’ve been doing since arriving in Atlanta is eating. I tend to overdo it a little when I come home because I love my mom’s food (and Atlanta food in general) and don’t get to eat it that often. Here’s a sample of what we’ve been consuming since last Saturday.
Dosa at Gokul in Decatur.
Farmer’s Market Benedict with a Basil Hollandaise at Egg Harbor Cafe.
A traditional Kerala meal at Vishnu’s house. Chickpea curry, bananas, and a rice/coconut/cumin mixture. SO good.
Not featured – my mom’s green enchiladas, samosa chaat + dahi puri (Indian street food), my mom’s traditional Gujarati food (Indian flat bread, a bean curry dish, mango pulp, lentil soup, and rice), Vishnu’s mom’s dosas and idli, and a few other things I can’t remember.
After a few days at home, I sent this text to Vishnu.
3. I’m so glad we were able to get together with friends this week. After a day of group texting, my friend Jetan picked the neighborhood, and my friend Farnaz and I picked the restaurant – Tin LIzzy’s in Perimeter.
4. My mom didn’t like the tops I brought with me to wear this week (not warm enough), so she went shopping one afternoon and bought me three new sweaters. I love my mom!
5. The original plan was to drive to Knoxville tomorrow evening with Vishnu’s parents and brother to visit his uncle’s family. But because the weather forecast is predicting freezing rain and super low temps, we nixed the trip and instead decided to spend the weekend in Atlanta. While I’m sad that we won’t get to see Vishnu’s aunt, uncle and cousins (they are SO cute), I’m excited to spend time at home relaxing and hanging out.
Have a great weekend!