My simple dinner, chickpea and tomato pasta, was the inspiration for tonight’s blog post. After an entire weekend of unhealthy eats, I wanted to eat something that would give my body some of the nutrients I missed over the past few days. I am happy to report that dinner was delicious and nutritious! Before I talk about how I revert back to the basics after a few unhealthy meals , I will share my recipe.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can approximate all of the ingredients based on what you like and what you don’t like. I didn’t measure anything…just added a little bit of this and little bit of that!
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can garbanzo beans
Good quality olive oil (don’t underestimate the power of quality olive oil) 🙂
Dried herbs of your choice (I used basil)
Salt and black pepper to taste
A pinch of Indian red chilli powder (I couldn’t find my crushed red pepper)
Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain the pasta and add it back to the pot. Add the can of tomatoes and about 3/4 of the beans. Allow to heat through and then add about 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with the herbs and spices to taste. Allow to heat through and serve warm.
Allowing yourself to have indulgent foods every now and then is a must. But sometimes, reverting back to healthier foods and a healthier mindset is harder than one would think. The transition is much more bearable when I gradually add back fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. into my diet. Here are some of the ways I get back to the basics:
- I try to start off with a filling breakfast (my favorite cereal with soy milk, a bowl of oatmeal, slices of toast with peanut butter, an egg white omelet, etc.)
- I make sure that my kitchen is stocked up with fresh fruits and vegetables, and I incorporate them into every meal (I love juicy berries because they are full of antioxidants, and they are great with yogurt, oatmeal, or even on their own)
- I reap the benefits of spinach by making a spinach salad with my favorite veggies and beans (my favorite salad beans are black beans, garbanzo beans, and dark red kidney beans)
- I sip on lots of water throughout the day. I try to drink at least 6 glasses a day to help cleanse my system.
- I snack during the day – almonds, fruit, string cheese, Larabars, etc.
- I eat dark chocolate almost daily! 🙂 I allow myself about 100-150 calories worth and eat it VERY slowly to satisfy my sweet tooth.
These are just a few of the ways I slowly get back to the basics after allowing myself to eat pretty much whatever I want. 🙂 I find that by adding fresh foods back into my diet and not eliminating entire food groups, I am back on track in no time!
Do you find it challenging to eat healthier after indulging? How do you get back to the basics?